Monday, September 05, 2016

Star Trek 50th Anniversary: Mission to Gamma VI (Mego; 1975)





In 1975, Mego produced a great Star Trek toy to stand alongside the bridge playset, the rare Mission to Gamma VI playset.

This Mego playset offered a landing party-style adventure for the young Star Trek fan, showcasing a an alien landscape and headquarters.  

As you may recognize, the plastic mold of the giant alien statue or icon roughly resembles Vaal from the second season Star Trek episode “The Apple.”  Still, there are some interesting variations here, namely the miniature “Gamma Creature” aliens, also described in a TV commercial of the day as “Lilliputians.”

This eighteen-inch high playset came with the mountain statue and throne, a platform and a trap door leading down to a subterranean cave  It also included a giant lizard-like glove (or a “glove creature”) meant for grabbing and detaining your Starfleet crew.  The statue’s reptilian mouth was also movable, and the eyes could glow-in-the-dark.  The mountain is an impressive hunk of plastic, even today.


I must confess, however, that it always bugged me that the Gamma Creatures were out of scale with the Mego Star Trek action figures. It would have been a lot cooler if they had been of the same size, and not so cartoonish in design.  They look kind of silly, frankly.

I remember how I purchased a second-hand Mission to Gamma VI playset in 1987 from a small dealer in Nutley, New Jersey.  He sold it to me for fifty dollars, replete with box and also some loose Mego figures of Green Goblin, Iron Man, the Star Trek Neptunian, and the Gorn.  Alas, I no longer own the box.  It got thrown away when I was in college, in 1990, a fact which drives me crazy.  (That was also the span during which I lost my box for the Kenner Imperial Shuttle from Return of the Jedi.)


My second-hand Mission to Gamma VI set was missing the subterranean cave architecture and glove.  So it was really just the Vaal-like mountain, the inhospitable landscape, the platform, and the mini-aliens.  

This is a relatively rare Mego Star Trek set, and I hear that it is difficult and expensive to come by.  I would love to find one with all the pieces and the box, but I’m not holding my breath.  

Below, you'll find the TV commercial for the Mission to Gamma VI statue.  You'll notice that there it seem to molded in blue or gray, rather than green. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

My Father's Journal, Epilogue: "My Cancer"

My friends, we have reached the final entry in my father’s journal of his battle with cancer.     I want to thank all the readers who have c...