Thursday, January 22, 2015

At Flashbak: This is not a Book! A Gallery of the Fotonovel, the Photostory, and Photonovels


My latest article at Flashbak remembers the era (1976 - 1982) of the Fotonovel or Photostory, a publication featuring images from popular films.



"In the era of Netflix, Amazon Prime and Hulu, it’s difficult to explain to youngsters of 2015 how the children of the 1970s and early 1980s -- pre-VCR -- sometimes spent hours attempting to recreate the experience of watching a beloved film again through other available means such as board games, “novelizations,” building model kits, trading cards, and perhaps most memorably of all: the photonovel.

The photonovel as a printed form arrived in the mid-1970s, just as Star Trek was reaching escape velocity in syndication and Star Wars was on the horizon. A number of different publishers, including Pocket Books, Mandala (Bantam), and Fotonovel Publications began releasing this new style of book; one which features hundreds of still images from the featured film, arranged in chronological/story sequence, with dialogue sometimes featured as comic-book-styled balloons.

1 comment:

  1. John these were wonderful photonovels. From my boyhood in the '70s, I still have the STAR TREK Where No Man Has Gone Before, Battlestar Galactica, Buck Rogers In The 25th Century and Close Encounters Of The Third Kind.

    SGB

    ReplyDelete

My Father's Journal, Epilogue: "My Cancer"

My friends, we have reached the final entry in my father’s journal of his battle with cancer.     I want to thank all the readers who have c...