Thursday, August 29, 2013

Reader Top Ten Greatest Science Fiction Films, Circa 2000 - 2013: Jeremy Meyer



Reader and friend Jeremy Meyer provides his list of greatest science fiction films of the twenty-first century so far.

Jeremy writes:

“Another fun topic John! Again one I haven't actually thought about specifically before - I tend to fall into the camp that thinks sci-fi was at its best in the 70s/80s though perhaps that viewpoint is the default for someone who hasn't really considered it carefully

Oh, just to add, I'm 24, so definitely not someone who prefers 70s sci-fi because I'm looking back on it with rose-tinted glasses! Until recently (maybe 2009 with Star Trek/ District 9?) I think sci-fi had been undergoing a pretty serious popularity problem, hence the dearth of critically acclaimed releases. Hopefully that is in the process of changing...

10. Source Code (2011) - One of those movies that isn't as smart as it thinks, but it really doesn't matter. The concept is interesting and the pace/acting chops of Gyllenhaal kept me riveted throughout.

9. 2046 (2005) - A gorgeous, gorgeous movie from director Wong Kar-Wai, a melancholy time-travelling love story told absolutely beautifully.

8. Serenity (2005) - Come on Joss, sequel sequel sequel! Seriously though, if there is someone out there who can mix great entertainment with astoundingly deep philosophical allegory as effortlessly and successfully as Whedon, I've yet to find him. 

7. After The Apocalypse (2004) - Incredibly bleak and minimalist movie, exploring a post-apocalyptic world in black-and-white and without dialogue. Harrowing. I think it's necessary for people to make difficult movies about difficult scenarios, rather than constant Hollywood sugarcoating. The future might well be as dark as Nakajima shows here.

6. Prometheus (2012) - Has there been a more polarizing movie so far this century? For my money I thought it was a brilliantly realized addition to Scott's universe,but one that requires real engagement from the viewer to get the most out of it. Demanding that sort of attention from its audience was always going to annoy some people.

5. Rise Of The Planet of The Apes (2011) - After the travesty of Burton's effort, I was understandably nervous for another Apes film, but I shouldn't have worried. Rise was intelligent and true to its roots, with a remarkable performance from the CGI Caesar that must stand as one of the great achievements in computer animation.

4. Star Trek (2009) - I've never awaited a movie release with more trepidation, and been more relieved and delighted upon release. Plot/logic holes aside, this is right up there with WoK for me.

3. A.I. (2001) - The most important meditation on the 'Uncanny Valley' since Blade Runner. If you ignore the final 20-25 minutes, I think this is one of the finest films of any genre of the past 15 years. Haley Joel Osment is utterly sublime as David.

2. Moon (2009) - There aren't enough movies like Moon - smart, tightly budgeted, beautifully scripted/acted, gorgeous minimalist cinematography, an engaging mystery, challenging ideas, inverting genre expectations. It reminds me of Silent Running in terms of scope, and that's the highest praise I can think of. The entirety of Moon, from its initial pitch to casting right the way through to production and editing, should be taught in film schools to demonstrate the right way to go about making a genre standout. True sci-fi, in a way very few movies are nowadays.

1. District 9 (2009) - It's about redemption, racism/segregation, the importance of family and the tyranny of the state, but it's told via a mix of action, body horror and documentary. I mean how incredibly ambitious is that? AND it works!


Jeremy: This is a thoughtful and brilliant list, and I was very gratified to see 2046 make the cut. I think that’s a terrific film, for all the reasons you eloquently state.

I must admit: I have not seen After the Apocalypse, but now will seek it out. 

And I feel that I need to re-visit A.I., though I promised my wife I would never put her through it again.  We liked the movie, but it devastated her from an emotional standpoint, and she cried through the whole thing…

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting my list John, and thank you for the kind words. You really should give A.I. another screening, just make sure you give Mrs Muir plenty of notice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be giving AI another look as well. It was certainly a different kind of film.

    You've really got me interested in this very un-Hollywood After The Apocalypse.
    best sff

    ReplyDelete

My Father's Journal, Epilogue: "My Cancer"

My friends, we have reached the final entry in my father’s journal of his battle with cancer.     I want to thank all the readers who have c...