Thursday, August 29, 2013

Reader Top Ten Greatest Science Fiction Films Circa 2000 - 2013: Gordon Roberts at Musings of a Sci-Fi Fanatic


Gordon Roberts, the genius (or madman?) behind one of my favorite Internet digs, Musings of a Sci-Fi Fanatic, starts us off with Thursday’s Reader Top Ten Feature.

Here’s the SFF:

“Okay, we'll jump right into the latest Reader list fun.  Bubbling under (as they say)... 

Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within (2001) The much derided video-game based film had nothing at all to do with the video game and everything to do with life, death, alien and human survival.  It was an eco-friendly love letter Japanese styled. Though a commercial disappointment critics mostly got it including the late Roger Ebert.  It remains a thoughtful rumination on existence.

Pandorum (2009) This is a thrilling straight up science-fiction horror in keeping with the kind of thrills that invaded the mind with Event Horizon (1997). I just love it as a straight forward old-fashioned sci-fi horror.

Equilibrium (2002). Some terrific ideas and stunning action moments partially ruined by that rather standard ending, but otherwise inventive and exhilarating sci-fi.

10.  Serenity (2005).  The best sci-fi fantasy since the original Star Wars: A New Hope (1977).  Thank you Joss Whedon for Firefly.

9. Ghost In The Shell 2: Innocence (2004). A gorgeous, contemplative, Blade Runner-esque stunner from director Mamoru Oshi. Perhaps a bit too impenetrable for some but a striking example of science fiction on an animated level.

8. Minority Report (2002). Another great science fiction story based on Philip K. Dick.  There's always a place for some classic new Dick and this Dick adaptation is a straight up classic.  That really didn't sound right.

7. Signs (2002). M. Night Shyamalan at his very best.  This alien invasion film is one of the moody best with some genuine points of terror amidst a frighteningly atmospheric siege film.

6. The Host (2006).  Gosh, quite frankly the best kaiju yarn of the 2000s until Pacific Rim.  I love my Godzilla films and many were released during this Millennium period but as a film this one by South Korean director Bong Joon-ho is a real winner.

5. War Of The Worlds (2005). This is a thrilling, terrifying and ultimately action-packed alien invasion film tapping the post 9/11 fear of a nation.  I was simply blown away as it brought to life elements of terror straight out of nightmares.

4. Prometheus (2012). Cerebral, dark, haunting and unexpected.  Separating myAlien expectations and taking the film on its own merits as one of horrifying discovery has lifted Ridley Scott's picture easily among the best of the period.

3. Sunshine (2007). A beautiful, classic sci-fi journey into space by director Danny Boyle. Who knew? But there is indeed a classical sense about this project and not a single monster to be found beyond ourselves. 

2. District 9 (2009). Absolutely blew away Avatar with its miniscule 30 million dollar budget, big ideas and gritty thrills with one of the great characters in sci-fi history in Wikus van de Merwe.  Just a remarkable exercise in sci-fi with poignant character drama.

1. Pacific Rim (2013). You knew this was coming.  Director Guillermo del Toro deserves a robot-crushing three points for sheer artistry and entertainment value.  It's a hybrid anime kaiju treat for the ages. It may not have the sheer smarts of District 9, but it more than makes up for it in technical muscle and eye for the fan boy visuals in two monster stomping hours and 2,500 tons of awesome Sci-fi cinema.

And like Mr. Muir, I have yet to see Elysium (2013). By the way, where was Rise of The Planet Of The Apes (2011) on your list John?  I thought for sure I might see it there. 

There are a lot of solid science fiction films within the time-frame set forth, but I can certainly understand why some might find it a struggle to determine their ten best within a classic sense.  It's a challenge.

And how exactly did Tom Cruise get on my list twice?  Funny enough Vanilla Sky (2001) was also very good. I guess I really do need to see Oblivion (2013).


Gordon: Your list is incredible, and I had a feeling that Pacific Rim was going to rank highly, based on your in-depth analysis/review a couple weeks back.  

And you’re absolutely right about Rise of the Planet of the Apes.  I loved that film!  This exercise is actually proving a lot more difficult than I thought it would be.


Also, I am very happy to see at least a runner’s up notation regarding Pandorum, a film I enjoyed.  In addition, I was a big fan of Signs, and recall your excellent review of that film.  In fact, I never posted a review of my own because I felt yours treated the subject matter so brilliantly...

5 comments:

  1. I'm very glad to see Signs on someone's list. It would just miss my top 10, and I think it's unfairly maligned simply because of the (admittedly stupid)deus ex machina of the alien reaction to water. Up to that point it was a solid alien invasion flick with some solid work from Gibson and Phoenix.

    ReplyDelete
  2. John
    Thank you for posting and your high praise. I must laugh ... Sometimes I feel a bit mad. Anyway, thanks for your kind thoughts on Signs. They don't come lightly. I had a similar reaction once you started covering The X-Files. I had redirected off the subject following your coverage.

    BT. Love Signs. Great film with terrific performances. I understand your point too regarding the conclusion. It feels a tad convenient.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SFF:

      We all go a bit mad sometimes, to quote Norman Bates, but of course, I was just kidding. Your method is genius, not madness, to be certain. I've been loving your recent posts on ST:TNG's first season, by the way.

      I also love Signs. I'm no M. Night-basher, and I feel it represents some of his strongest work. Even the ending doesn't bother me much, given the emotional build-up. I think you did a great job covering it...

      And thank you for the compliment regarding The X-Files. But I don't want you to stop your coverage because it has been outstanding, and I want to read more of it!

      I also want to thank you for contributing a great list, my friend. I appreciate the support, and the food for thought.

      best,
      John

      Delete
  3. Glad to see Signs on this, as well, G. Wonderful list…and you know I'll not argue one bit about Pacific Rim ;-). Way to go, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you John and M! And again thanks for your generosity here at your site.

    I love your point about the build up in Signs. It does have wonderful build throughout the picture. Just a terrific cinema experience.

    Oh and M, I have the Pacific Rim calendar on watch for 2014. I always treat myself to a calendar and I'm pretty certAin that will be the one for next year. :)

    ReplyDelete

My Father's Journal, Epilogue: "My Cancer"

My friends, we have reached the final entry in my father’s journal of his battle with cancer.     I want to thank all the readers who have c...