Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Collectible of the Week: G.I. Joe Sea Wolf Submarine (Hasbro; 1975)




One of the truly great, truly classic toys from my youth comes from the Hasbro G.I. Joe collection of the 1970s.  

In 1975, the company produced a large white one-man submersible (with transparent canopy) called the Sea Wolf, along with an underwater enemy: a giant squid.

The Sea Wolf was one of the "Action Team" vehicles of the era, and could hold a large-scale Joe figure.  More impressively, perhaps, the 1/6 scale submersible could actually operate underwater.


The Sea Wolf also came equipped with an undersea camera (non-functioning) for exploration, and pincer-arms for grabbing that pesky squid and other dangers.  The cockpit canopy could flip open, and there was also a long breathing hose for Joe, if memory serves.

I recall that for a short duration we had an above-ground pool on our back patio in Glen Ridge and I was able to put the Sea Wolf to sea, so-to-speak, for all manners of adventures.

That established, the giant squid was soon separated from the Sea Wolf, and recruited as the nemesis for my home-built (out of blocks) Nautilus submarine for 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea pretend play. Honestly, the squid was as much fun as the Sea Wolf.  Two great toys for the price of one!


My Sea Wolf was sold at a yard sale some years back (though I think it had stopped being sea-worthy, and the canopy had yellowed...), but I'd love to get one for my son, Joel, for the bath tub.  I know he'd get a kick out of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Father's Journal, Epilogue: "My Cancer"

My friends, we have reached the final entry in my father’s journal of his battle with cancer.     I want to thank all the readers who have c...