Wednesday, March 13, 2013

You can make the Veronica Mars Movie Happen...


I just contributed to the cause, and I hope you will too.  

Veronica Mars' creator Rob Thomas and star Kristen Bell are behind this Kickstarter project so it is for real.  There are thirty days left to meet the goal of 2 million dollars.  644,000 2,515,000 dollars have already been raised.

If you haven't seen Veronica Mars, you are really missing something.  This is what I wrote about the series, not long ago: 

"In just three years, Veronica Mars gave us one of the greatest, most memorable TV detectives since Peter Falk’s Columbo in Kristen Bell’s feisty, brilliant character.

The mystery format is an under-served genre on television right now, and no show has achieved as much as Veronica Mars did regarding that genre, adroitly updating the form for our high-tech age and advances like social media and cell phones. Picking up on the series now would allow us to follow Veronica as an adult (with new technology…) meaning a whole new avenue of storytelling, whether she’s at the FBI, or still working with her Dad in Neptune. 

At heart, Veronica Mars was also a mystery series that examined class differences in America: the lives of the obscenely rich and the very poor in one particular context (a California beach town).  Today, that background context feels much more pertinent.  Hence Veronica Mars deserves a return."

So go ahead and kick in a few bucks, if you can...

Update: the campaign's goals were met, and the money has been raised!  My thanks to everyone who contributed!

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:09 AM

    This is the greatest thing that I have heard all year. Veronica Mars is one of my favorite series, and it got axed far, far too early. I really hope this gets Kickstarted as far as it needs to go.

    Thanks for the heads up!
    --J/Metro

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jonny,

      It looks like the Kickstarter made it in less than 24 hours, which is amazing. This could very well be the new model for cult-tv programs looking for a resurrection!

      Delete
  2. I want you to know that I purchased season one and two of the series based on your previous recommendation on your last Q & A! I'll get ahold of season three when it gets a little less expensive.

    I hope it happens for the fans. It seems like a real possibility.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi SFF:

      I know you will love Veronica Mars. It is a great film noir, only updated for the modern era. It looks like the fans have a lot to celebrate today!

      Delete
  3. John,

    Yep. I definitely contributed to the campaign myself. 2.6 million dollars in just under 24 hours. Simply amazing. Maybe we should rally the Millennium fans??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Troy,

      I had the same thought, and wondered about the possibilities.

      The only issue, I think, is that Millennium would likely need a bigger budget.

      How big, I can't say for certain without knowing more specifics. But the last X-Files film was a bargain at 30 million. Could a Millennium film be made for 25 million, and how much of that could fans raise? 10? 12? 20? The whole shebang?

      I think it is DEFINITELY worth exploring at this point.

      Best,
      John

      Delete

My Father's Journal, Epilogue: "My Cancer"

My friends, we have reached the final entry in my father’s journal of his battle with cancer.     I want to thank all the readers who have c...