Monday, August 06, 2012

What I'm Reading Now: Character Actors in Horror and Science Fiction Films (1930 - 1960)


"The working lives of most character actors during this period were not easy, as they had to contend with a cost-conscious cinematic environment that gave them little or no time for rehearsals or retakes...[W]ithin this methodological framework the character actors assumed an important rules, as their characterizations were shaped by industrial concerns as well as patterns of audience reception..."

- Laurence Raw, Character Actors in Horror and Science Fiction Films, 1930 - 1960, McFarland and Company, Inc., Publishers, 2012, pages 6 - 7.

2 comments:

  1. What I'm still reading now: 'Horror Films of the 90's'. I don't use it as a reference book like I know some do books of these sort, but reading every review sequentially. It helps that I have seen nearly, not all, bust most films listed. Again, great job John.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Trent. I am so glad to read that you are enjoying Horror Films of the 1990s. I loved writing that book, and feel very proud of it.

      best,
      John

      Delete

My Father's Journal, Epilogue: "My Cancer"

My friends, we have reached the final entry in my father’s journal of his battle with cancer.     I want to thank all the readers who have c...